Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Message From Smokey's Friend "Bob the Bear"


Hi...I am " Bob the Bear"  Smokey is my hero, and he said that he didn't want to get involved in the Cape Vincent Wind issue right now, but said, don't be stupid, prohibit industrial wind turbine in your town!  He is too busy going to public hearings out here in the West telling people of the danger of wind turbine fires since turbines are popping up all over the West including in national forests.  He wished us good luck.  He said to tell you that...YOU CAN PREVENT HYPOCRISY. He also said you can borrow MY shovel to shovel through the BS you see in the CV wind issue.
                   "  Now stop bothering me...I gotta get back to helping Smokey!

I have decided to respond to a comment below on the Smokey the Bear graphic I posted.  I have checked with a forest service office right here in Flagstaff and they were a actually bit confused about the issue of using the Smokey logo. They said they will get back to me. So to err on the side of caution if it is a violation then I have will remove it. I have no problem with that if I made that mistake.   However, one commenter ended the comment as below with an unrelated asinine comment that was way out of line if you actually know me and some of the things I volunteer to do in my life  the commenter said:

"Please respect our outdoors and protect our wilderness"    OOOOKKKK   Really!




Above and below briefing for forest fire evacuation.



I don't know who you are, but have you actually ever fought a large forest fire or evacuated people in the path of a forest fire?  Have you ever had to look into the faces of people who you are evacuating and see the terror they feel that they may loose their home and there isn’t anything you can do to help them?   Have you ever even been to a wilderness or seen what a massive fire does to it?


Checking on the safety of a family in the path of a forest fire.





Nearly trapped by a forest fire.



Forest fire road block

Have you ever patrolled a nation forest looking for people violating a fire closure or fire regulations?  Have you ever worked hand in hand with a forest service law enforcement agent to arrest people who have damaged other forest resources? And I am part of a SAR team that searches for and rescues people from the wildernesses and outdoors 24/7. Ever drag a body out the wilderness in a body bag?  I stopped counting how many times I have done that.



Getting read to lower a victim on a mt. rescue over at 11,000 ft.




Cliff rescue practice.




                                                           Risky helicopter mt. rescue at 12,000 ft.

 So please don’t talk to me about respecting wilderness. I know EXACTLY what lack of respect for the wilderness can end with.  Have you ever been to a forest fire safety training?  Where I live we live for several months in fear of a large forest fires? I have had them come as close as 1 mile to my home.  Ever had to go through your house and life processions and figure out what actually matters to you and what you would save?

 Well I have done ALL the above so please don't sit there and talk at me about respecting the outdoors and wilderness!!!  Actually as you might see from the pictures some of us have other things to do other than nit pick over a Smokey logo. After my involvement with Smokey's friends I would bet Smokey and my forest service friends might  be willing to give me a pass for that simple mistake! 

And BTW if you are really all that concerned about saving the “outdoors”, then how about supporting prohibiting turbines in the beautiful and precious Cape Vincent region or out here where wind farms are popping up like weeds near wilderness and pristine outdoor areas that you think we should respect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment