Monday, January 20, 2014

Apparently I'm Not The Only One!!!


You might want to sit down before you read this one!!!
As some of you know I keep documentation and records of the Cape Vincent wind battle in many forms.  Especially if I think there are very important implications from that record that could be relevant in future matters.  And every so often I review those records when issues come up, or just to review and jog my memory. Who was doing what, when, and why?  Who is important in forming and directing policies, at local, county, and state levels.
So I was reviewing some records that could relate forward involving Mr. Hirschey’s pick for our new town deputy supervisor, Mr. Macsherry.  I came across a post I had kept from Mr. Wiley at the JLL blog.  This is only a quote from a portion of the post, and unfortunately I don't think there is a way to retrieve this or anything from the JLL archives now.  I can't find any archive on JLL.  Maybe somebody could correct me or help me on that, and I can’t find this post in any Internet search either.
Let me put the comments below in context. 
 This is after Mr. Macsherry had been appointed as CV PB chairman. And this comment isn’t that long ago. It had to be after 7/1/11 when Edsall stepped down as PB and Macsherry was appointed by this govt.
 This is Mr. Wiley quoting himself and Mr. Macsherry  in a discussion after a PB meeting.  Hester Chase is also in the discussion but she is not quoted at this particular point.  The  discussion is about conflicts of interest in CV and the impact  on siting wind turbines. 
It is obvious that Mr. Wiley is not very comfortable or happy with Mr. Macsherry's views on conflicts of interest and he posted this discussion on his blog.
Below in orange is Mr. Wiley's report that was on his JLL blog.  This portion is verbatim, and the post is much longer about Wiley’s concerns that Macsherry doesn’t seem to grasp the absolutely critical problem in the CV wind struggle…conflicts of interest.
And if you look at the record I have reported this as well that Mr. Macsherry has shown some past disregard for conflicts as he was running Dem for town board and campaigning with Rienbeck and crew.  AND he objected to John Byrne’s camera in a TB  meeting that was all about recording those conflicts in action!  We have a trend!  Maybe that is another reason Wiley is concerned. 
Wiley’s post:
"Mr. MacSherry constantly reminds us that he is a negotiator. Well, I have done a fair amount of negotiating myself, in my early years,  as a member of a union. When we started the process, we agreed to certain rules. And one of those rules was the codes of ethics that were to be adhered to by both parties.

Back to my Article X discussion. I pointed out to Mr. MacSherry that the Power NY legislation was very specific about conflicts of interest with the energy companies and that such people were disallowed from the facilities siting boards. It was up to the town supervisor to appoint two locals to the siting board and they were to in compliance with the state public officials law and be clean of any financial connection to the wind developers. MacSherry could use the Power NY language as his "opinion".

I asked, "Why shouldn't we apply the same ethical spirit to our local siting as that recommended in the Power NY legislation?" "Oh, that's different," replied MacSherry. "No it is not," I replied.

Any negotiator who struggles with the definition of conflicts of interest and will accept codes of ethics violations in the form of conflicts of interest amongst his fellow public officials and will allow those violators to participate in the process is not worth his salt. 

Mr. MacSherry claims he is big on everyone giving in a little during the negotiation process." 

WOW… I am stunned, that is real edgy stuff for JLL to be questioning and posting about a  Hirschey appointee in the powerful PB chairman position.  Geees I am about to faint!!!  To do this he must have had real serious concerns about Macsherry’s qualifications.  He even says that any negotiator who struggles with conflicts of interest…isn’t worth his salt.

And this post was accompanied by what was somewhat unflattering picture of Mr. Macsherry.
But the part that is a bit scary is Wiley saying Mr. Macsherry claims he thinks everyone should “give a little” during the negotiation process!!!!!!  And Hirschey has picked him as the  town deputy supervisor, the “big  negotiator” to defend our zoning law against BP or whomever and Art. X  This is also the same Macsherry who implied we should not take our zoning as literal…. YIKES!!!!!!!
Sounds to me like some very dangerous blending of thinking from someone who now has a tremendous amount of local power in his hands.
This is not a vendetta or attack.  It is factual record and a staunch Hirschey supporter raising questions about Mr. Macsherry very publicly inn the past.  At that time it would have been picked up and splashed all over the Internet and  seen by many wind observers, and Wiley knew that too.
Apparently he was concerned enough he didn't care.
Apparently I am not the only one who has had  concerns about our new deputy supervisor’s past.
So now you can now  all go over to JLL and scream at him for raising uncomfortable questions for the “team” for questioning an important Hirschey team member!
But more importantly,  the CV wind battle at this point had been going on for about 6  years.  Why does Wiley feel that after all that time and the OBVIOUS community crisis the conflicts have caused, that Mr. Macsherry still doesn't seem to grasp this?  AND not to mention at this time he had the powerful PB chair and the  Hirschey team who appointed him ran on ethical govt. and against the conflicts. 
And something else occurs to me in terms of power.
I might be wrong and correct me if I am, but I think Mr. Macsherry has been appointed to more positions in the wind battle by Hirschey or this board than anyone else.
Hirschey appointed him to replace Hirschey on the Rienbeck wind law committee.
As I remember he was on a 2010 Hirschey wind law attempt committee
As PB member.
As PB chair.
On either the new zoning committee and comp plan committee or both.
On the Art X advisory committee. 
And now as the new town deputy super.
 
If nothing else maybe we need a little diversity and fresh thinking.

 

6 comments:

  1. Don't forget the Tax Assessment Review Board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Concentration of power is always a concern in government. That he says he is big on everyone giving a little in negotiations is more than a concern in the wind issue. Does one person really need all that power? Is there any part of government that he hasn't touched?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So let me see if I have this correct. As a citizen if I have a complaint on zoning or the comp plan, wind issues whether it be a wind law or dealing with siting,my tax assessment, or if I plan to build, and this same person then gets to decide how my tax dollar are spent if the Supervisor is not available? Please tell me how one is to negotiate when the negotiator holds all the cards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten about this JLL post. I was stunned again when I read Wily's post. I'm not sure what stunned me most. That Wiley was actually publicly taking Macsherry on, or that Macsherry didn't seem to get it about conflicts and it was a trend. There is more to it, but fair use copyright laws would probably keep me from posting here. But I may later paraphrase.

    But if you want to see how this power has been wielded and significantly hurt a CV citizen, go back and review the PB and ZBA videos of the solar zoning fiasco, and all the documentation I put on my blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quote from a July 24,,2011 article in the WDT about a possible wind law.

    "While Councilman Brooks J. Bragdon believes that it would be “impractical” to start developing a wind law now with three councilmen up for election in November, Supervisor Urban C. Hirschey suggested that the two councilmen who are not up for election this year — Mr. Bragdon and Mickey W. Orvis — and two Planning Board members hold “private meetings” to see what they can agree upon and “let that be a starting point.”

    Any bets who those 2 planning board members would be? Edsall Rienbeck had just suddenly resigned from the PB.

    Private meetings????? Don't these people ever learn??? See if they can agree as a starting point? Don't they call that compromise???

    ReplyDelete
  6. And here is another shocker, although I did know about this soon after it happened. This was posted on the Pandora's Box or Rocks Blog. The quote below IS NOT mine.
    Seems like some people are or were a bit concerned about Mr. Macsherry's actions.

    Don't grip to me...gripe to Pandy, she is supposed to be a team player!!!

    From Pandora’s account of CV wind history Feb 16, 2012, Private meeting between MacSherry and Rienbeck and wind developers 2009.

    ----------------------------------------

    "A video recording of the 2010 wind committee public deliberations Jan.30 2010 shows Dick MacSherry, a member of Hirschey’s wind committee, openly talking about a special meeting. Mr. Reinbeck and I sat down with developers last May, and people don’t know this, we presented a copy of this proposed law to them and they went over everything line by line. At the end of the session, we asked them to give us written comments to go back to the legal firm in Albany, but to my knowledge, they never did. This is the same draft law that citizens had requested access to at a TB meeting and Mickey Orvis said that it was not available for public viewing."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    WOW...send the private comments back to the Albany lawyers?????, The public has not ever seen the draft yet and it would have even gone so far as to go back to the Albany pro wind lawyers?????. The very same pro wind lawyers Edsall found and coached CV pro wind officials how the might circumvent the conflicts of interest and the possible risks?

    Let's see here...who doesn't have a fundamental grasp on the meaning of a PUBLIC hearing????

    This is pretty astounding stuff. Apparently there is a video of this statement according to Pandy. Don't know it is a Weed video or private video. Might be time to demand the town board to dig it up! I can't believe Hirschey didn't know about this before he picked Macsherry for Dep Super. As I remember Hirschey was on the 2010 wind law committee himself.

    Like I said don't gripe at me...go over to the Pandy blog and ask her???

    As like Wiley...why did she post this? Was she concerned too. It doesn't seem to reflect well on Macsherry or Hirschey.

    ReplyDelete