Friday, April 26, 2013

My Answer

If you have been following this blog for the last couple days you would have seen the on going debate between myself and an anonymous commenter who refuses to stand behind their comments with a name.
Since they take the luxury of being anonymous. I will take the luxury of a longer explanantion.

So here is my answer to the pimary question they asked.

To my commenter:  Your question is answered in this post but I am going to make additional comments as well.

First of all right up front. You have actually established no credibility to ask your question, since you are not willing to put your name on your comments, establish who you are, and what makes you credible and experienced enough on the CV wind issue to even be credibly in this debate. You have the luxury of being anonymous, where you can hide and slink away. In the end If I am right…you CAN actually "crawl under a rock" as you said,  and go on as if all in the world is well and you harbor absolutely NO risk, accountability or responsibility for your comments or for your beliefs and statements. No one will ever know who you are. My statements might be aggressive but I don’t hide. Everyone knows who made those statements and who has to be accountable. You on the other hand have given yourself a chicken poop escape route.

So I guess my second question to you is…what are you frightened of. Most like the the junior high peer pressure of your group!!!

So on that level of lack of credibility I shouldn’t even answer your question…but I will.

I’m sure this will not be enough for you, but I will try anyhow. And as I said I will NOT play this ridiculous Yes or No game. If you need it that simple go to the other blogs or get comfortable among a circle of your like minded associates who want to think that way.

To answer your question the way you would like would require me to accept a completely false premise and give it a yes or no that the town will in certainty defeat BP with Art X and wind will be driven out of town. That is an unknown that no one can be certain of, at least anyone with a little intelligence.

Assuming you are a man for this example. It is like the set up of asking you “ have you stopped beating your wife yet” It is a trap based on a false premise that you actually DID beat your wife and that may be completely false. You can’t win answering that question yes or no.

Now for your question. For reader review here is the question you asked me.

 “ Okay, now tell me, when you are proven wrong and wind is driven from this town are you going to apologize to the people you offended with your personal attacks or are you going to just crawl under a rock and pretend all is well with the world?”

Tell ya what…why wait…I will do you one better. How about I apologize right here right now? That good enough for you? Even my closest friends have suggested my comments are too abrasive at times. OK I will work on that. So here goes!

I apologize to anyone, town officer or other wise, if my sometimes acid comments have unjustly offended or hurt someone. I will attempt to temper that approach in the future.
Now that being said let me clarify some very important points. First I will NOT apologize for my core beliefs…end of story!!! Like in your statement WHEN I am proven wrong, and wind IS driven from this town …jumping the gun a bit aren’t you????

What if I am right?????

All this “who is going to be right” in the end is absolute pure speculation and pointless to the real argument. It’s a diversionary tactic. . You are asking me to make an apology based on something neither of us can actually be sure of, and as if I am already wrong. Look at your statement. Your question is actually a clever attempt at a setup. You are asking me to apologize for my “attacks” and doing so on the premise you and the town are absolutely right about the end result already, as if it is at this moment an absolute certainty, and you clearly know it IS NOT a certainty!!! Your debating me proves that truly you don’t really believe it is the certainty you suggest.

My comment style and my beliefs are two very distinctly different areas, and I am not going to conceded to a ridiculous setup that tries to say that since A is wrong B is too.

Note I DID NOT and WILL NOT apologize for my beliefs on the wind issue and that the town is going in a terribly wrong direction to appease the State and Art X. that stripped away our fundamental community rights, and I certainly do not think those rules are fair and impartial!!!

I can say it with acid, or I can say it nicely the core belief is still the same . Art X IS NOT fair and impartial and it is astonishing the town would say that or appease a system so obviously tilted to corporate and political power and that you would defend that in any way!.

That is what you really want more than you want an apology for my “attacks”. You want obedience! You want me to admit right now that I am WRONG. That is what you really are after. What you want is to stop what makes you uncomfortable and that is the debate itself! I MUST agree with you and Hirschey! Why is that? Because you well know you want to be just as right as I think I am in the end so you can kick me around as a result. Any intelligent person can not stand there and truly believe with absolute certainty that BP will be driven out of town by the Art. X and the town. I don’t even think many of the town officers truly believe this is a done deal. That would be just plain foolish.

Your issue is you are constrained by the confines or need to be a “team player” with in the restrictive beliefs of your group. I don’t carry that baggage, and hopefully that gives me a more impartial view.

So let’s be honest. You want to do that kicking right now to extract your pound of flesh and doing it on an absurd premise that the deal is sealed and big wind is already defeated and I am wrong right now.

Sorry, nice try, but no cigar. There are two separate issues here. One is my comment style, which as you can see I have apologized for, and the other is my beliefs. My core beliefs remain exactly the same. What you really want is for me to change my core beliefs and completely align with the Hirschy govt. That in the end is really what you can’t tolerate! It’s not really my approach.

Not my problem…that is your problem!

And what is driving you to the edge right now is that despite this Art X fair and impartial comment by the town that you know is wrong, you still have to somehow justify it and defend it when you clearly know it was out of line!!!

The other thing to consider is the end result. What makes a good end result that would prove me wrong and you right? Again that can’t be dumbed down to a simple yes or no. I am not going to accept a compromise as an acceptable result as to me being wrong and the town right. NO turbines are a good end result if the town achieves that. Not 5, not 10, not 60, or 95 or 120 instead of 124! AND not some industrial solar project sprawling over hundreds of acres that neither our town comp plan or zoning would allow and would require the same absurd tax subsidies to support. And NOT ANYTHING from BP…or big wind, after what they have done to destroy our community already.
That is where I really think this is going. We will get a BS compromise from the Art X board with no follow up litigation from the town and you and the town will somehow pan that off as a victory and that they did everything they could! See… Pundt was wrong.

The town is so over committed to the Art X wind law be reasonable approach, that if they get something far less than desirable (desirable being NO TURBINES) they will have to somehow package it as a victory. And if that occurs then the town govt supporters will work overtime to rationalize it.

And if you are conflicted now about the town’s comments, just wait. If that is the end result you are going to have a real tough time running around explaining how following Art X that stripped our rights away and preempted our laws for some BP turbines was somehow a good idea. Especially when there were people clearly telling you it would be a disaster.

And lastly you have a very short memory. If you where to look back, you would see that there were just as many nasty attacks on me from the supposed anti wind side. For example I have never called anyone an arrogant prick as I was called by one Hirschey supporter!!! That came from your side of the debate!!!

So now that I have apologized for my sometimes abrasive approach I will be waiting for an apology from the persons who attacked me just as strongly. And that would include YOU! I won’t hold my breath.

But be clear…I still think the town is wrong, and I will still question it especially when they make mistakes so blatant like calling the Art X rules fair. That is democracy!
And here is the discomforting part for you. Legitimate disagreements are an essential of democracy and open govt. If I object to the town’s moves and direction, and do so in a more measured way with no “personal attacks” …that is going to leave you in a real quandary, because you will have to address the actual issues in the debate, with no excuses of using my approach as a scape goat and diversion.

That is of course that you are in support of democracy and the open debate it requires.

I wish you luck with that!





4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your response. And it may surprise you that I agree with some of what you have stated. I do however; disagree with some things as well.

    Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of posting a comment as long as your post without doing it in several sections. That said, I will respond later this weekend when I have the time.

    One thing you seemed to have overlooked however is the basic question I asked you to answer. I did not ask you to apologize for your position, nor did I ask you to apologize on the basis that the wind decision in our town is a done deal, one way or the other.

    My question was and still is, would you apologize for your attacks assailing the character and intelligence of the elected and appointed officials IF AND ONLY IF wind is driven from this town by the current town board and therefore their actions are proved to appropriate.

    If you read my previous post, I clearly stated the wind issue is not over and that you could end up being right. Seems you missed the bit of information in your zeal to frame this debate in a manner that better suits your needs.
    I will comment in more detail when I have the time.

    In the meantime reread my posts and then tell me why you took the liberty of mischaracterizing my statements. I suspect it is because you need to do so in order to make the debate more favorable to your position.

    I am happy to debate you so long as you stop taking my statements out of context, or in this case ignore them altogether in an effort to make if fit your needs.

    Lastly, before I go I should say I also take umbrage to you making false assumptions about my thought process, loyalties and reasons for debating you in the first place. I guess you just have to make this stuff up to protect your position and possible because you can’t actually debate me on the real facts.

    More later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "new adjusted" question below !!! I can't hit a moving target!

    "My question was and still is, would you apologize for your attacks assailing the character and intelligence of the elected and appointed officials IF AND ONLY IF wind is driven from this town by the current town board and therefore their actions are proved to appropriate."

    Not so fast ! Re-read your original question. That is what I replied to, and it is in yellow in the post above . Here it is again.

    “ Okay, now tell me, when you are proven wrong and wind is driven from this town are you going to apologize to the people you offended with your personal attacks or are you going to just crawl under a rock and pretend all is well with the world?”

    You DID NOT SAY "IF AND ONLY IF"...you said WHEN I am PROVEN WRONG and wind IS driven out. Those are absolutes. Let's keep your debate accurate and stop moving the target to pad your argument!

    Now you talk about your loyalties, and reasons for debating me.

    Well...why don't you just clear that up for us. Explain those things to us. Everyone KNOWS my motivations and loyalties and thought process. Is yours sacred??? AND put your name on it so the playing field in the debate is level. Frankly you are not really credible otherwise, and this becomes more entertainment rather than a serious discussion.

    In fact if it is difficult for you to comment due to the word requirement...ok I can easily solve that for you, call me, get my email and just send me an email with your name on it, and your comments and I assure you I will post it verbatim.

    I appreciate your comments, but it seems like you and I are going around in pointless circles, about possible events way in the future that neither of us can predict.

    So just in case you don't want to waste any more time on this, let me make it clear...

    I have NO intention of crawling into your trap by committing to something that is pure speculation and will likely be well over a year in advance, where circumstances could change radically, and the outcome could vary greatly were basically all you really want is a shot at what you perceive as a personality flaw on my part and frankly it doesn't matter one bit one way or the other if I apologize or not. Is that your assignment? Because it is very interesting that you suddenly came out of the wood work at this particular time when the town needs damage control on their obviously very questionable fair and impartial statement.

    You claimed that was not a big deal...but by your reaction...apparently it really is. As far as assumptions of your thought process, I have no other recourse since you are playing games, and won't give your name or your loyalties and motivations. You want what you perceive as a big apology commitment from me, and that I should pin myself down to that, yet you won't commit to anything

    You are not driving a debate about the issues that really matter. You just have this deep need for me to commit to this future apology. Why is that so critically important to you? What I still see here is a very clever way around to do basically what many in the Hirschey govt have already tried and that is to kill the messenger, especially when they have made such a huge gaff! You are just a little more cunning than the others.

    In the big picture, what does it matter? Right now is the critical time.

    And let me pose your question back at you...if THEY are wrong it will devastate this community and extract a terrible toll. So what is their accountability? Will they apologize to me, or forget me will they apologize to the community and admit they were wrong?

    Now you mentioned their are things you and I agree on...OK why don't we stop chasing our tails, on this quest for you to get me to commit to a future apology on pure speculation, and you tell us all what we agree on! I would love to hear what we agree on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and btw...the "dance" in your comments seems so very familiar.

    The phrase in particular that I am "mischaracterizing" your comments. This theme that I am never understanding what you are saying or writing rings a lot of bells.

    This was a repeated theme in many email discussions I have had in the past with a certain person.

    The fact that you suddenly appear on my blog right after the town makes a huge gaff about Art X is ringing many bells as well.

    Your argumnents are very "legal" and you started your string of comments with the comment that we were not lawyers or have not been in a court room. That too is very familiar!

    The structure of your arguments, the phrasing...if I am right then I KNOW, why you are unwilling to put your name on your thoughts.

    If I am right you will never admit it...and if I am are wrong...well carry on!

    So how was your daughter's play in NYC????

    ReplyDelete
  4. There you go again Mr. Pundt, taking things out of context and or changing up the order of my questions. I can only guess your new version of who said what first, better suits your argument.
    Please try and stick to the facts, I realize this can be difficult for you but if you want a fair debate you have to stop obfuscating the truth.

    My original question wasn’t this as you have suggested.
    “ Okay, now tell me, when you are proven wrong and wind is driven from this town are you going to apologize to the people you offended with your personal attacks or are you going to just crawl under a rock and pretend all is well with the world?”

    This was my original question below: Also, notice the question was followed by a statement clearly saying you could be right, so it is clear to your readers that I only asked you if you would apologize if it turns out you are wrong. But of course since you don’t have the courage to answer the question, you continue to try and pause, think, obfuscate, challenge and squirm your way out of giving your readers a real answer.

    “When the Elected and Appointed officials who are working diligently to protect this town throw BP and big wind out of Cape Vincent will you have the balls to say “I am sorry, I was wrong and they were right? If the answer is yes, then press on, if the answer is no then you should just dry up and go away now and save yourself from a possible ulcer.

    When this is over you will either be right or wrong, there will be no ambiguity about it. If you are right (which I highly doubt) you can stand in the town center and beat on your chest and I will be more than happy to attend and bow down to your greatness. However, because of the high probability that wind is on its way out of our town due to the efforts of the elected and appointed officials, I would suggest you start learning how to be a little self-deprecating.”

    So Pundt, maybe you want to try again. You were a teacher and I am sure gave you some of your students who struggled with directions a second chance. So in the spirit of a good and fair debate, I am willing to give you another chance to be more accurate.
    Use as many words as you like (since it isn’t in your DNA to have the ability to answer Yes or No) to answer the original question. In the spirit of some of the great teachers we have in the US, we’ll call this a make-up test or a do-over for a student who has trouble following simple instructions. Well I guess the word “instructions” will probably raise your blood pressure a bit, so in the spirit of not having you pop a cork, we’ll call it a request.

    Now take your time on this one, because I am going to stroll around the city for a while before returning home and won't have a chance to go online again until later tonight. Since this is kind of like a take home test you should have plenty of time to get it right this time around.

    ReplyDelete