Sunday, May 20, 2012

Ring of Fire Annular Solar Eclipse in AZ

When I was a kid my parents gave me a small telescope for Christmas. It was one of the neatest gifts they gave me and one that had a life time impact.  Ever since then I have been a half assed amateur astronomer.  Much of what I leaned about the night sky I leaned on dark summer nights in Cape Vincent along the St. Lawrence River.  Something else the CV zoning should attempt to preserve…Dark Skies!

Now days I use the stars and Sun as a navigational guide in my wilderness outdoor activities.  I also teach a course for search and rescue on primitive skills survival navigation using the Sun and stars for direction finding, location, and travel.

So today was a special day in AZ for all people who take an interest in sky observing.  Today we had an annular solar eclipse pass through N. AZ.  This time of year here we have mostly clear dry weather so the observing was perfect.  My wife and I found a big open meadow in the forest at about 6500 ft. about 40 minute drive from our house, and set up our make shift solar observatory.  That would be a small telescope image projected onto a white piece of paper on a clip board on the tailgate of my truck, a camera, and a couple of lawn chairs to sit and watch.  A real high tech operation!!!

Thought I would share it…enjoy.

                                                   Our make sihift solar observatory













The view on the way home.  Very lucky to enjoy this and the beauty of Cape Vincent too!

Sunset in the forest and on the San Francisco Peaks of  N. AZ 12,600 ft. Highest point in AZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment