Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Thank You To Cape Vincent Councilman Clif Schneider - And Some Observations


We have been on an extended trip exploring the magnificent and remote places of the NV and CA desert.  When we returned I noticed  an article in the WDT indicating that Cape Vincent councilman Clif Schneider is resigning his position, and moving to Wellesley Is.
 
I felt I wanted to thank Clif, and also share some observations from my experiences with Clif in the past.

Clif has been a really interesting player in the CV wind battle.  It is no secret among people who read my blog that I have had major and deep disagreements with Clif’s and the current town board’s approach to the CV wind issue. I have had a hard time comprehending the logic of some of Clif’s rather strange decisions coming from a supposed smart scientifically oriented logical person. I could probably blog on for a long time or write a short book on what I have observed surrounding Clif Schneider as a key CV wind battle player.

 Despite my disagreements with Clif, we were once friends and colleagues in the wind battle and worked on a number of important issues.  Over several years up until about 2011 Clif and I had many long detailed personal discussions about the CV wind issue on many levels.

So despite my deep differences with Clif I would like to applaud his service to the CV community.  He did after all step up during a very difficult time in CV’s history.

I was first introduced to Clif by a mutual friend, I believe it was back in the 1980’s and as I understand Clif’s service to CV also goes back to well before the wind issue reared its ugly head in our community.

Frankly though based on many many detailed discussions with Clif I am convinced he was never anti wind, just as I am convinced by the evidence that Urban Hirschey is not anti wind either...even by his own admission.  After all they both wrote a zoning law that does allow some  industrial wind in CV.

I think in Clif’s case the anti wind label somehow stuck to him and for political convenience he wasn’t all that interested in removing it, even though in my opinion was far from accurate.  Clif may not have wanted 124 BP turbines in CV, but I think in the end had a compromise come along he might have taken it despite all the tough talk about our law.  I also don’t think he was against PILOTs and other tax subsidies that are critical to support wind and solar. Despite the failings of these renewables and the cost to the tax payer.  Somehow this just doesn’t add up to the anti wind label that stuck to him.

I even have an email analysis of the 2009 wind law attempt he sent to WPEG where he basically says that the way to solve the wind issue in CV is for lease holders to convince more neighbors to sign up as good neighbors and this would reduce complaints far better than wind law restrictions.  It is an astonishing piece off really faulty logic.

Just as he is a supposed Republican.  In my personal discussions and debates with Clif he turned out to be one of the most politically liberal people I knew.  But he needed to attach his star to the supposed Hirschey Republican wagon to get elected.  So he probably thought it was far more expedient to just  let people think he was actually a Republican and anti wind.

But I will still say a sincere thank you to Clif for his service and I wish him well.

That being said I also want to comment on one of Clif’s recent decisions.  It is again n example of a  decision based on what I think is a very faulty logic.

Recently Clif has suggested that a letter from the Town of CV be sent to the NYPSC and Art 10 thanking them for the fairness and attention regarding BP’s application for a wind farm in CV.

Again I am a bit stupefied by this logic.  FAIR!!!  Are you kidding!!!  This move just seems outright goofy!

I just don’t get Clif’s and this board’s overriding need to lock their lips on the ass of the NYPSC and the Art 10 process in big sloppy kisses!

So what the hell exactly are we thanking the NYPSC for?????

Would it be for the State’s wholesale removal of our home rule rights on the energy siting?

Oh…maybe it would be that Art 10 left us hanging out to dry as they basically assisted BP with more time to find another buyer, as if a nearly a decade of BP’s dominance over our community was not enough.

Would it be that Art 10 stopped BP’s nonsense in their absurd completely flawed application process?  No it can’t be that because the NYPSC and Art 10 despite all the letters begging them to stop BP and save CV and the 1000 Islands did nothing to stop the process.  It was finally BP that pulled the plug, not the PSC, Art 10, or the town.

Art 10 didn’t do a damn thing to help this community or stop BP.  Instead they assisted an industrial giant to keep wreaking havoc on our community as long as possible.

In fact Art 10 never rendered any final decision in CV at all. So we have no clue what they would have done if BP had stuck it out, and thus have nothing to thank them for.

To be thanking the NYPSC or the Art 10 process is patently absurd and one of the goofiest things I have seen in the CV wind issue.  Just about the time you think you have witnessed all the possible stupidity something or someone out does it!

Well…even so…  best wishes to you Clif.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment